Fayetteville Police Department

city seals


Press Releases
Released: 5/2/2011 Who do I contact? Gavin MacRoberts
Public Information Officer
(910) 433-1896
Fayetteville Police Department
Officer shot

Officer involved shooting:


            On May 2, 2011, at approximately 1:37 am, officers were called to the Tiffany Pines Subdivision in response to a report of an individual on Brass Court with a gun. When officers arrived, Careem Leggett (19) fired on officers with a shotgun and ran in the direction of Argon Avenue.  Once on Argon Avenue, Leggett fired and struck Sgt. D. Nicolosi and Officer M. Quillen.  Two other officers returned fire on the suspect as he ran to his home at 1509 Argon Avenue. Once Leggett arrived at his home, he shot his brother in the leg and barricaded himself inside. The following is an approximate timeline of what happened next:


  • 2:15 a.m.- ERT (Emergency Response Team) was called out to the scene.
  • 3:45 a.m.- Police officers noticed movement at a rear window and a shot was heard coming from the residence.
  • 4:00 a.m.- The police department brought in negotiators to talk Leggett out of the home, but they were unable to make contact.
  • 5:20 a.m.- A second attempt was made to contact Leggett.
  • 5:45 a.m.- A combination of OC and CS gas like substance was fired and a robot was deployed into the home..
  • 5:55 a.m.- ERT members made entry into the home, a flash bang grenade was used and Leggett was located in the back bedroom.


At this point in the investigation, it appears that Leggett died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. As a result of officers being involved in a shooting the SBI was called and has begun their portion of the investigation.


According to family members, Careem Leggett has a history of mental health issues and on two previous occasions, officers have responded to incidents that were related to his mental health issues. It appears that Leggett's mental health issues may have been a factor in today's incident.


Of the two officers who were shot, M. Quillen was taken to the hospital and as of 11:00 a.m., he was listed in serious but stable condition.  Sgt. Nicolosi received a minor wound to his arm and was treated and released at the scene.


There have been several requests by media for a copy of the 911 calls and the radio traffic, currently they are being reviewed by the SBI. Once investigators give permission, that information will be released to the public. There is also a request for calls for service for the address, 1509 Argon Ave. Because of the medical nature of some of the calls, we cannot release the details of all the calls... however, we can release that in 2009, there were at least 10 calls for service, 2010- 15 calls, and in 2011- 9 calls. Please note, these numbers are estimates. It appears that there were several occasions where 911 was called several times for the same incident.


Media Note:  Questions regarding the investigation should be directed to the SBI.  Pursuant to State Bureau of Investigation policy and procedures, the Department will refrain from further comment regarding the events surrounding this incident until the SBI has completed their investigation.


Careem Leggett


Copyright © 2016, City of Fayetteville, Police Department. All Rights Reserved.
467 Hay St. · Fayetteville, NC 28301
Send Us Comments | Privacy Statement | Web Accessibility (Section 508) | ADA Compliance