The Fayetteville Police Department’s Police Administrative Building is located in the heart of downtown Fayetteville. We have approximately 397 sworn law enforcement personnel and 181 non-sworn staff members.
The department is separated into three (3) police districts, Campbellton, Central and Cross Creek. The Campbellton and Central District offices are located inside the Police Administrative Building. The Cross Creek District office is located at 6147 Raeford Road. We also have a small sub-station located in the Grove View Terrace public housing area.
Our officers work 10 hour shifts for four days during the week (Tuesday through Friday), with 3 days off. The squads have an overlap day that is different for each district. The Cross Creek District works (Tuesday thru Friday, or Friday thru Monday) with the overlap day for the patrol Squads being Fridays. The Central District works Tuesday thru Friday and Saturday thru Tuesday) with the overlap day being Tuesday, and the Campbellton District works Monday thru Thursday and Friday thru Monday with the overlap day being Monday.
Every two months the squads change the days of the week that they are working, but the shift hours remain the same.
Upon satisfactory completion of the training process officers are released on solo patrol. Officers are required to work one year on the road before being assigned to a specialized unit or to be eligible for a promotion. Our ranking system is as follows: Officer/Detective, Police Specialist, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Assistant Chief and Chief.
Patrol officers are assigned to one of nine (9) sectors in the city. The sectors are identified as Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel and India. A Lieutenant is assigned to each of the nine sectors. The officer is responsible for answering calls in the area and for assisting officers in neighboring sectors when needed. We strive for our officers to become a part of the community by being highly visible, attending neighborhood meetings and practicing other aspects of the Community Policing concept.
We invite all interested and encourage candidates to schedule a ride-along with one of our patrol units to get a feel for what working with the Fayetteville Police Department is all about.
Process to Schedule Ride Alongs
- Visit the Fayetteville Police Department located at 467 Hay Street, between the hours of 7:00 am to 7:00 pm - Monday thru Friday.
- At that time, you will be required to provide a valid driver's license (any state, as long as it is valid) and fill out the Ride Along Request Form.
- After a background check is completed, the Internal Affairs Unit (IAU) will approve or disapprove the request, depending on the findings (no convicted felons will be authorized to participate in the program).
- Once approved, you will be contacted to schedule your Ride Along.
- Applicants are authorized to participate in the Program once, every six (6) months.
- If you have any further questions, please contact the Internal Affairs Unit at 910-433-1820
* Schedules are subject to change